6 Best TEAS Exam Prep Books (2020)
TEAS stands for Test of Essential Academic Skills. This exam is a standardized test given to students applying to college nursing programs.
The latest version of this test is the ATI TEAS, which contains 170 multiple-choice questions. Each question has four answer options. The test is supposed to take 209 minutes, and it tests four main skill areas: Reading, Mathematics, Science, and English and Language Usage.
You cannot get into an Associate’s Degree in Nursing (ADN), Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN), or Diploma program without passing the TEAS, so you must prepare well.
Most people recommended that you take up to six weeks before the exam date to study. Since passing the test is a necessary step in your nursing career, you shouldn’t skip study sessions.
Because it is so vital, the TEAS can be stressful. You can lower the stress level by studying and feeling prepared and confident in your abilities.
A TEAS prep book can help you thoroughly prepare for the exam and give you the confidence that you need to feel sure that you are going to pass.
The Best Books to Prepare for the TEAS
Table of Contents
- TEAS Prep Book Reviews
- Frequently Asked Questions
TEAS Prep Book Reviews
1. Kaplan ATI TEAS Review
This weighty book is the best overall value when it comes to TEAS prep material.
Publisher: Kaplan Publishing
Year: September 3, 2019 (Second Edition)
Number of Pages: 456
Our Final Grade: A
Kaplan has a great reputation when it comes to producing quality prep material for different exams, and this book lives up to that reputation.
One of my favorite things about this test prep book is the diagnostic test at the beginning. It gives you a good indication of where your weak areas are so you know where to focus your studying effort.
There is a lot to go over as you prepare for the TEAS, and the diagnostic test saves you from working on areas that you already understand.
However, this book is 456 pages, so it does cover everything that you could ever need to know to pass the exam.
There are also test tips inside the book which reveal the various tricks examiners use to throw off test takers. You will know what to expect, so you don’t lose precious points falling for these tricks.
You can also build your confidence with 500 practice problems. The best thing about this practice test is that each question has an answer with in-depth explanations. You will know if you got the question right or wrong, and if you got it wrong, you would understand why.
- The diagnostic test helps you figure out your weaknesses
- The test tips help you learn which tricks examiners use to throw off even the best test-takers.
- In-depth concept reviews and practice problem explanations help you understand everything.
- Sometimes the book is too in-depth, so you might learn and memorize things that you won’t need to know for the exam.
2. ATI TEAS Study Manual
This book provides a quick recap that will have you feeling confident before your exam.
Publisher: Test Prep Books
Year: May 4, 2017
Number of Pages: 296
Our Final Grade: A-
This is a great book if you’re already aware of the test questions and subjects and want a quick study guide with concise summaries. The ATI TEAS Study Manual is ideal for use with another study guide.
Although it offers a quick overview, it has a comprehensive list of features, including a summary of the different test sections, two practice tests with answers and explanations, and a variety of test-taking strategies and tips.
However, it does not go as in-depth as the Kaplan study guide.
If it’s your first time taking the test, or you are not confident in your ability in the different study areas, you might want to buy something a little more comprehensive.
However, if you are well-versed in the test or have confidence in your abilities, this book is a great way to review your knowledge and prepare for the test, especially if you are short on time.
- The book provides a comprehensive set of exam tips and strategies.
- You do not have to learn any irrelevant material because the book sticks to questions that are most likely to appear in the test.
- You get plenty of practice questions to prepare for the items you will see on the exam.
- The book has a few typos and errors, which can be annoying.
- You may need something more comprehensive if you are unfamiliar with the TEAS.
3. ATI TEAS 6 Study Guide
The layout of this book is perfect, so you can quickly find the area you want to study.
Publisher: Accepted, Inc
Year: November 30, 2017
Number of Pages: 226
Our Final Grade: B+
Accepted, INC is yet another well-known leader in test preparation material. This particular test prep book seeks to give you the most relevant test material with as little fluff as possible. Even so, it manages to provide a comprehensive review of the relevant study topics.
It is also well organized, and you can pick out the topics you want to focus on without having to flip through too many pages.
The writing is simple and straightforward, making it easy to read and understand the different concepts. On top of these positives, you get over 300 practice questions with answers and explanations.
- The book is very concise, so you learn what you need to know.
- The different sections are easy to find.
- The sample questions are very similar to the ones you will encounter in the actual exam.
- It is not the best option for beginners who might need a more comprehensive guide.
4. ATI Teas Secrets Study Guide
This guide is for visual learners with lots of video tutorials.
Publisher: Mometrix Media LLC
Year: March 31, 2016
Number of Pages: 386
Our Final Grade: B
This book is somewhere in the middle of the road in terms of length. It weighs in at 386 pages. The book’s size is suitable for people who want a concise study guide without too many extras.
The concepts get presented in an easy-to-understand format, and the different topics each have separate explanations.
The layout breaks the material down into easily digestible chunks. There are over 70 video tutorials that provide a more in-depth review of the content. These extras can be especially appealing to visual learners.
- This book is comprehensive, but not overly long or detailed.
- The layout makes the book easy to understand.
- Video tutorials help users understand the harder concepts.
- Many of the questions in the Science section tend to be easier than the actual exam.
5. McGraw Hill Education TEAS Review
If you want an in-depth study guide for the TEAS, this book is it.
Publisher: McGraw Hill Education
Year: June 20, 2017
Number of Pages: 528 pages
Our Final Grade: C+
This book has 464 pages, making it the longest on this list, by far.
It has a comprehensive and thorough review of all the different subjects that you might encounter in the exam. You also get more practice questions than any of the other books on the list.
If you feel thoroughly underprepared and want something that goes in-depth into all the concepts, this book will fit your needs.
The McGraw Hill Education text includes comprehensive coverage of all the four subjects on the TEAS exam as well as 600 review questions to help you thoroughly prepare for the exam.
- You get an in-depth look at every aspect of the TEAS exam.
- You get more practice questions than any other exam prep book.
- This option is excellent for beginners who want to dig deep into the subjects in preparation for the exam.
- The book is not up to date with the latest ATI TEAS exams.
- Some readers complain that the book has numerous typos.
6. ATI TEAS Test Study Guide
This book puts the different sections of TEAS under a microscope and shows you precisely what you need to know.
Publisher: Trivium Test Prep
Year: November 21, 2019
Number of Pages: 230
Our Final Grade: C
This book focuses on the most relevant material that you are likely to encounter in the exam.
It is also well organized, allowing you to see how the chapters relate to each other. The writing style is easy to read, so you won’t mind focusing on it for more extended periods.
Another great thing about this prep book is that it shows you where to apply your knowledge when facing different test questions. Many test-takers get confused about which skills to use on which question. This book shows you exactly how to tackle various problems on the test.
- The book has an enjoyable writing style.
- It shows you how to apply your skills and knowledge to different questions.
- You will understand what you need to know for each section.
- Some parts have factual errors
- Other books are more comprehensive.
Frequently Asked Questions
These are the most common questions that people have as they prepare for the TEAS.
What score should I get on the TEAS?
The necessary score depends on the schools to which you are applying. Each school sets a different cut-off score. However, the best approach is to try and score as high as possible.
How is the TEAS exam graded?
The score gets calculated using a kind of weighted average, where some questions carry more weight than others. Unfortunately, you don’t get to know beforehand which items carry more weight.
However, you can get a sense of it since some questions will be harder than others. Overall, it would be best if you aimed to get as many questions right as you can to increase your chances of getting a high score.
How many times can I take the TEAS exam?
You can take the TEAS exam three times in a year, though each school has different requirements for how many times you can take the test and how much time should elapse before you retake it.
Learn the schools’ requirements to which you are applying so that you have enough time to take the exam multiple times without missing the application deadline.
Passing the TEAS is the first step in your nursing career. You should not take this exam lightly. Depending on the schools you are applying to, it is crucial to aim for the highest possible score on the TEAS, and to do that, you need to prepare adequately.
A prep book will help you get ready and feel confident that you will not encounter any surprises when you get to the exam room.