5 Best PTE Prep Books (2021-2022)
Three hundred seventy-nine million people speak English making it the third most spoken language on the planet. The number of speakers grows every day with people learning the language for opportunities locally and internationally.
Although there are many new speakers, testing fluency has proven difficult due to the different dialects and linguistic preferences within the English language.
The PTE (or Pearson English language test) gives English speakers a test score not biased by humans but based on artificial intelligence configured by multiple rated spoken responses. Around the globe, organizations, academic institutions, and governments accept the PTE on applications for work and study abroad visas.
In preparation for the PTE, there are many steps that one must take, but first, let us help you find the best PTE prep book for test-takers in 2021 or 2022.
Table of Contents
- Our Top Picks for PTE Prep Book Reviews
- Final Thoughts on Taking the PTE
Our Top Picks for PTE Prep Book Reviews
Helping someone study for their PTE or you’re getting ready to take your test? These PTE Prep Books offer all the information you need to better prepare.
1. Expert PTE Academic Coursebook B1 & B2
This book is ideal for students looking for a step-by-step preparation course.
Publisher: Pearson United Kingdom
The Expert PTE Academic Coursebook contains lesson plans to ensure an understanding of the language and the test. A guided course helps students gauge their proficiency and offers advice on how to craft their best written/spoken responses.
This prep book is excellent for anybody looking to fine-tune their English skills and is offered in two editions: B1 and B2 (depending on language level).
- The material follows proven preparation courses and comes with online help and practice at MyEnglishLabs.
- This coursebook is a concise and compact prep book for the self-taught.
- Accurate vocabulary lists provided.
- Book does not come with an answer key.
- Be sure to receive the CD, or else one will miss the listening portions of the book.
2. The Official Guide to PTE Academic
For anyone wanting to understand the mechanics of the PTE test.
Publisher:Pearson Education ESL; 2 edition
The course developers at Pearson created this Official Guide to prepare students for the test’s configuration and scoring. It includes trusted practice tests with answers from previous test takers to help students learn how to receive higher scores. This prep book allows students to feel comfortable with the questions and confident in their responses.
- Legitimate guide to the PTE test created by developers.
- Proper practice tests with answer keys.
- In-depth explanations of test portions.
- Comes with a CD for additional help.
- Does not contain online access to MyEnglishLabs.
- Has not been updated since 2012.
3. Pearson Test of English Academic Practice Tests Plus and CD-ROM with Key Pack
If you’re ready to start practicing and testing yourself, this is the prep book for you!
Publisher: Pearson Longman
The Practice Tests Plus has four full practice tests and answers provided by the PTE test writers. Explanations of the test are included, along with tips and helpful suggestions on how to answer/respond. The book also contains an MP3 disc to further help with speaking and listening comprehension.
- Published by the test writers of the PTE.
- Comes with four complete practice tests and answer keys.
- Synopsis for each portion of the test.
- Suggestions on how to complete the test.
- It can be challenging to grade oneself manually.
- Must be able to play the MP3 disc.
4. PTE Academic Practice Tests Plus Vol. 1
This book is for those looking to go in depth with their responses and strategies.
Publisher: Pearson Education; First edition
The scoring rubric and answer key provided allow students to grade themselves and compare answers to get the most out of the four practice tests.Pearson test writers explain each section and have included feedback on genuine answers provided by previous test-takers. Attached is a CD containing tips for the listening and speaking segments.
- Offers critique from the test writers on actual answers.
- Gain an understanding of how each section works and is scored.
- It helps you know what to expect on test day.
- Very similar to the previous editions of the PTE Practice Plus.
- The answer key is not computerized; all answers must be annotated by hand and compared to the answer key.
5. Wiley’s PTE Advantage for Academic Module
This book can help anyone reach their perfect score!
Publisher: Wiley; 1st edition
Inside Wiley’s PTE prep book contains a specially designed prep course aimed to enhance test takers’ scores. The book explains the examination process (how the test works). It goes slowly through each portion of the exam (speaking, listening, writing, and reading) to improve any speaker’s grasp of the language. This book comes with three tests and answers for students to practice and compare.
- The breakdown of each section of the test makes it easy for beginners.
- Suggestions and strategies on how to take the test.
- Three practice tests and answers.
- Plenty of material to study.
- Mock tests are considered more difficult than actual tests.
- On the expensive side.
- Not published by Pearson.
Preparing for the PTE can be overwhelming and stressful. Often the hardest part is finding the right materials to study and practice. To ease this task, I have compiled some frequently asked questions to help you find the best PTE prep book!
Also Read: Our Guide to The Best IELTS Prep Books
What should I be looking for in a PTE prep book?
The best PTE prep book will educate test takers on how the test works and how to obtain the highest scores while also providing valuable practice tests (with answer keys) for students to gauge their preparedness.
Clear written guidance paired with a structured preparation course, will help test takers understand what the test is really asking and how to respond accurately. The Pearson line of published PTE books is the most trusted because test writers contribute directly to their prep books.
Should I study with a tutor or by myself?
If you struggle with speaking English or listening and understanding it, working with a tutor will be helpful. You may also want to look for a PTE prep book that favors continuous learning and mastering through exercises and lessons.
Those who plan to study by themselves (and feel confident in their verbal skills) may prefer prep books with full practice tests with scoring strategies and in-depth suggestions on how to improve their answers. This answer should depend on your comfortability with taking the PTE and your comprehension of the language.
How much time will I need to study?
The PTE has three portions (speaking & listening, writing, and reading) tested for three hours. There are twenty different styles of questions and a diverse range of English dialects to test the student’s capabilities. Knowing the gravity and complexity of the test, students should put more than enough time aside to study and prepare for the PTE properly.
Final Thoughts on Taking the PTE
After searching for the best PTE prep book, we found it in the Expert PTE Academic Coursebook B1 & B2. This prep book is sure to educate and challenge those looking to excel on the PTE.
This test can change one’s life. Therefore self-assurance and preparation are vital.
The most important thing is to have enough time to study and improve in areas that someone may be struggling in. A comfortable grasp of the test material and confidence in one’s own English will ensure success!