The 7 Best MAT Prep Books (2022)
If you are considering graduate schools or admission into a high IQ society, you know how the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) can be a key factor in the admissions process. You know it is not the only criteria for getting into business school, but one of the many factors along with work experience and academics that admission boards may look at.
It may be tempting to cram everything you may need to know a few nights before the test, but that’s not a winning strategy.
With so many different questions to choose from, you need to have a prep plan for the MAT to have a chance of doing well. One of the best ways of doing this is via prep study books, but what books will help you get the job done?
Table of Contents
- What Are The Best MAT Prep Books?
- 1. MAT Strategies, Practice & Review by Kaplan Test Prep
- 2. MAT: Miller Analogies Test (Barron’s Test Prep)
- 3. MAT For Dummies
- 4. McGraw-Hill Education 500 MAT Questions to Know by Test Day
- 5. Miller Analogies Test Prep: Study Guide with Practice Test Questions for the MAT
- 6. Miller Analogies Test (MAT) with TestWare (Book & CD-ROM)
- 7. MAT Secrets Study Guide: MAT Exam Review for the Miller Analogies Test
- Final Thoughts
What Are The Best MAT Prep Books?
Here is a summary of the best MAT prep books on the market.
1. MAT Strategies, Practice & Review by Kaplan Test Prep
Publisher: Kaplan Test Prep; Sixth edition
Number of pages: 372
Our Final Grade: A+
Kaplan Test Prep has been making standardized test prep books and study guides for over 80 years and has gained a reputation for high-quality instruction. The MAT Strategies, Practice & Review book includes many different resources:
- Sample analogies
- Full-length practice tests
- Strategy guides
- Diagnostic tests
These critical components help you, the test-taker, figure out where you currently stand in your studying and allow you to prioritize the sections you’re having difficulty with without reading the entire book.
Not everyone has time to go through the whole book, and while not the longest book on this list, every page counts, and any type of learner could benefit from the strategies and practice tests inside. You can cycle through the practice tests to allow for multiple uses, and the word lists and sample analogies add to the bank of answers you already have.
Kaplan is so sure that they’ve made an excellent MAT prep book that they have even included a guarantee that you will score a better result after reading their book than had you gone into the test without it, or they’ll give you your money back.
- Features 6 full-length practice tests with answer keys
- Offers strategies for the four main testing areas
- Money-back guarantee that your score will be higher after using their book
- Extra pages of strategies may not be needed
- Currently only available in a paper version
2. MAT: Miller Analogies Test (Barron’s Test Prep)
Publisher: Barrons Educational Services; Twelfth edition
Number of pages: 352
Our Final Grade: A
Although almost all MATs have moved online rather than on paper, fewer books offer an online version of their practice test.
The Barron’s Test Prep series includes access to two complete paper tests and over a thousand additional practice questions with self-scoring answer keys following each test. If repetition style studying is the best way for you to learn, this prep book that prioritizes practice over study strategies may be the right one for you.
The practice questions are well-balanced and provide good examples for many styles of questions. Their included word bank covers the main topics of history, science, technology, and the arts for famous people and important events.
- Access to two full online practice tests online
- Eleven included practice tests
- 1500 practice questions with answers
- No strategy guides or diagnostic tests
- Only offers general information for problem-solving
3. MAT For Dummies
Publisher: For Dummies; 1st edition
Number of pages: 368
Our Final Grade: A-
The ‘For Dummies’ line of books offers a clear and exciting format for many topics, from learning an instrument to understanding the stock market. Now they offer a test preparation resource for those taking the MAT in the same easy-to-understand format.
This book isn’t just page after page of practice questions. It also includes strategies and tips for easing test anxiety on the day of the MAT and how to approach questions from topics that you may be less familiar with.
The layout is also one of the best, with sections devoted to quick study, vocabulary, and of course, practice tests that allow you to skip through and study in the way that suits you best. At 368 pages, it has plenty of information for the price and is a great value for a book that you may only use once in your lifetime.
Don’t let the ‘For Dummies’ tagline fool you; if you’re preparing for the MAT, you’re definitely not a ‘dummy.’
- Includes six full-length practice exams with answer keys
- Comprehensive vocabulary list of over 600 terms
- Available in eBook or paperback versions
- Not in the same format as the test
- Style doesn’t work for all types of test-takers
4. McGraw-Hill Education 500 MAT Questions to Know by Test Day
Publisher: McGraw Hill; 1st edition
Number of pages: 160
Our Final Grade: B+
This MAT prep book available from McGraw-Hill Education is much smaller than other books on this list in terms of physical dimensions and the number of pages it provides, but the quality doesn’t suffer. Whether purchased as an eBook or in the paperback format, the book offers over 500 questions to help prepare you for the MAT.
Each of the 500 different questions is selected to offer maximum coverage for various topics. The answer key thoroughly explains why their selection best answers it and the associated content to study if you are having difficulty.
This makes it a great last-minute review choice or a jumping-off point for someone who doesn’t want to purchase one of the more extensive and expensive guides.
Lastly, this book’s portability makes it stand out among the more expensive and larger books. The digital format goes with you anywhere, while the physical book is small enough to be tucked away in a computer bag and brought to study sessions.
- Available in paperback or digital formats
- Provided practice tests are in the same format as the MAT
- Highly affordable and portable
- Fewer practice questions and full-length tests
- Better for revision rather than in-depth studying
5. Miller Analogies Test Prep: Study Guide with Practice Test Questions for the MAT
Publisher: Trivium Test Prep
Number of pages: 60
Our Final Grade: B
Trivium Test Prep knows you’re busy, and they aim this test prep book at those who need to study but don’t have a lot of time to do so. Concise and to the point, the book comes in at just 60 pages, a third or less of other books on this list.
However, there’s a reason it’s one of the best MAT prep books currently on the market, and that’s because it packs a lot into a small space without elaborating too much, getting right to the point with:
Tips on how to ace the MATs
Full practice test
A full review of the MAT and how to best study for it
Graphs, images, and examples for questions you may encounter
While many people might need a more in-depth guide, this study guide focuses on practice and giving you the tools rather than all the answers. It’s also the most up-to-date guide, recently revised in 2021.
- A great starter point to determine if you will require more or less studying
- Concise but with plenty of examples
- An interesting mix of questions from a variety of topics
- Very short compared to other options
- No electronic versions
6. Miller Analogies Test (MAT) with TestWare (Book & CD-ROM)
Publisher: Research & Education Association; Sixth Edition, Revised
Number of pages: 464 + CD-ROM
Our Final Grade: B
With the MATs now in a digital format for many test-takers, studying and practicing the test that way is now more important than ever.
This MAT prep book offers additional resources that other prep books don’t – it comes with a CD that includes four practice tests in the same format as the test. The test’s time limit is also enforced, locking you out once the test time allotment has elapsed. After you fill out the test, it scores the answers instantaneously and offers diagnostic results for how well you did.
Along with a review of the MAT and how it works, the Miller Analogies Test with TestWare offers study techniques and strategies for approaching questions where you don’t immediately know the answer.
With the MAT only allowing 60 minutes to complete the test, these strategies can be a time-saver if you find yourself unable to solve the question simply through memory.
- Eight full-length practice tests, four of which are also in digital format
- Answer keys and diagnostic tools
- Word bank of over 1300 terms
- CD is an outdated format for many people
- Last revised in 2010
7. MAT Secrets Study Guide: MAT Exam Review for the Miller Analogies Test
Publisher: Mometrix Media LLC
Number of pages: 90
Our Final Grade: B-
Another shorter book, Mometrix offers a study guide that approaches the MAT in another way by using the information the test’s creators, Harcourt Assessment, Inc. (HAI), use to formulate the test and present it in straightforward steps.
This isn’t a cheap prep book, and while it’s available in both eBook and paperback form, it’s much more expensive than other books on this list.
You receive two practice tests for your money and plenty of practice questions to review while studying alongside a complete guide to the test and making the most of your studying time.
Although it’s only 90 pages, the book makes the most of the space it takes up and presents the information clearly, avoiding using dense or overly academic language. The pages are well laid out and utilize graphs and tables to give information that allows for quick skimming.
- Teaches new strategies to approach analogy questions from a different angle
- Appealing to both traditional and new style learners
- Word bank comes from the creators of the MAT
- Cost may be prohibitive for some
- Only two practice tests
The Mometrix study guide for the MAT is a great companion to other smaller practice test books on this list, and if you’re looking for information about the test rather than hundreds of practice questions, it’s worth the price tag.
These guides can help you improve your MAT scores and help to ease the anxiety of test day so you can make the most of the 60 minutes allotted for the test. Whether you need plenty of hands-on practicing or just strategies to review to help you finish studying, there’s something to help you make the most of the knowledge you already have to succeed.